Monday, January 28, 2008

What have I accomplished so far?

I tried hitting up the junk yards this past weekend but the Left Coast closes at 2pm. That's completely stupid. Back east they would stay open till at least 4pm. So, I ended up just buying the easy things, Brake rebuilds. When I pulled off the front tires last week I found a Black Widow spider behind the rim and proceeded to squirm and light it on fire. The beast was as big as a peanut m&m. After I torched it I flipped it over and, voila, the infamous red hourglass. So, after that experience, I am more cautious on my disassembly. When I removed the front brake drums I found another one. Nothing brake cleaner and a lighter couldn't fix. Glad I found it since there was a small grape sized nest in there. This one was a lot bigger then the last. Did I mention that I am terrified of spiders. Don't get me wrong, I will act as if nothing is wrong but inside, I am a complete wuss.

This week I am going to rebuild all four corners, brakes pads, drums, springs, wheel cylinders, brake lines, bearings and suspension. Might possibly try and lower the trailing arms in the back so I can get more ground clearance. All this stuff isn't trivial.

Other things I decided will need to be on the Manx:
1) Front and Rear Bumpers/Cages
2) Safari roof rack with a cutout over the passenger side so they can stand up and get some good shots (Camera or Gun).
3) 32gal gas tank in addition to the standard one.
4) 20gal water tank with a gravity fed filter and water bladder on the roof to feed into it. Once we find a stream we will filter the water first with a pantyhose and funnel, then with the gravity filter and then finally we will chemically treat it. No messing around with diseases.
5) Dual batteries with a toggle switch to select either one or both.
6) CB radio to talk with the other teams if need be.
7) At least a small sound system, ipod and waterproof speakers and amp.
8) Dual filter, dual ported filter. More clean air, more happy engine.
9) Extra Wheelset
10) Hi-Lift
11) Solar panel that can charge the engine while idle.
12) 12V converter for charging things.
13) Camera Mounts for driving footage.
14) Some type of tarp/bug net for when we sleep in the vehicle. It wont have windows, a roof or doors.

Other things that need to be purchased:
1) Little burner (they have ones that run off anything combustible)
2) Rice tub for a lot of rice! Not taking as many chances with local food.
3) Video Camera
4) Toys!!!! I want to bring little matchbox cars, dolls and soccer balls for the kids we meet.
5) Sat Phone for sending GPS locations back to the website.
6) Wind up flashlights and things of that nature.

There are plenty more things needed for this trip, I will sort that out later.

No comments: