Friday, January 25, 2008

Almost success on the Carnet De Passage

I ended up talking to the lady who runs the CDP section of CAA (Canadian Auto Association) and sorted out the logistics of it all. Once the vehicle is built and registered I can send in a 2 page application with photos and the money and within 2 weeks of receiving the paperwork I will have the CDP. The kicker, it's $400 for the application, processing, and CDP, a $300 deposit used for delivery and etc, plus, you need to get a loan from your bank "Credit" to hold against the vehicle if you leave it in a country that requires the CDP. I will have to get a stamp when I enter and leave the country. I will also need to get it stamped by customs from another country that doesn't require a CDP so I can prove that I didn't leave it there. Since the vehicles will be auctioned off for charity after the races, I will need to get the CDP stamped elsewhere and then auctioned off in another country that doesn't require the CDP. Handful but doable. Big sigh of relief in getting that figured out. Now the only hard part is to get the vehicle built and registered as a VW specialty bug. Fun fun.

No comments: