Friday, January 25, 2008

Figuring out the logistics of the Carnet de Passage

I ended up going to AAA yesterday to figure out the International Drivers Permits, Visas and Carnet De Passage. Some good and bad news. It turns out that the IDP is a quick process and that the Visas are doable in a 2-3 month period. The Carnet, on the other hand, is going to be a pain. I will need to build, register, insure and then apply for the Carnet, which takes a month or too. All this for a low price of $800 not including the money (0-300% of the vehicle sticker price) you have to put against it. WTF! I think I can get away with starting the registration process while building it and by the time I get the registration the Manx will be built and ready for an Inspection. I need to ship it out by the end of April. Then after it has shipped I can work on the Carnet in the 2.5 months following the shipping of the manx. Argh, so much to do.

On a side note, I will be visiting multiple VW graveyards for parts this weekend. Pick and pull my friends. See what I can get.

No comments: