Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Top End Rebuild!

So, a lot has been done and I apologize for not updating recently. I ended up cleaning the whole bug out and took it around for a little while. It ran great, albeit a little noisy and a few sputtering stalls here and there...it ran great! I ended up taking the beast over to my friend Thatchers house and we proceeded to remove the engine. I took the engine out and I tore the top end down and stuffed everything into the rear of my car. I brought the engine to VW Paradise and they are currently rebuilding the top while porting and cleaning it up. I will hopefully pick it up tomorrow. While that was being worked on I had spent a few weekends working on other things. Thatcher and I put a roll cage into the bug and during that install we found that the floor under the passenger seat is completely rusted out and that the sheet metal above the transaxle is also completely rusted out which worked to my favor in working on the transaxle. We had to build a frame to mount the roll cage onto in that VOID. Still needs a little bit of work but the roll cage is 90% in. After that I ended up changing the mounts on the transaxle with some heavy duty polyurethane ones, I am currently putting in a tranny strap and the axle boots were replaced. I bought some angled steel 1x1x.125 and these will be the mounts for the battery (dual), gas tank, jerry cans and the roof rack. I am spending my thursday afternoon to cut and weld all of them together so I can install them this weekend. I still want to rebuild all brakes, shocks and front wheel bearings. I also need to figure out how to wire up dual batteries and the dual tanks. I found a 3-way valve that only supplies one tank at a time. Also a 4way switch for the batteries. This weekend I will put the engine back in and will proceed to adapt a breather box, new air filter routed into the cabin, electronic ignition with new wired, coil, etc etc. I nixed the oil cooler and filter since I would have had to have the engine completely torn down and worked over for that. WIRING, is a nightmare since the guy before me had used electrical cords and other hokey stuff to put it together. I will attempt to get them straight again.

I only have 2 WEEKS FROM TODAY to ship it!!!!!! Argh, so much work to do and Kevin will be coming in a few to check it out. I want to get it running and possibly get into the desert to ride it a bit. A lot of info but I hope to write more often and explain whats going on better. Don't criticize my grammar, I know I am horrible. Its ok, I am an engineer not a writer.

2 comments:

Diane said...

yah you better get your butt moving so that its all ready to ship out..heehee

Anonymous said...

I know I know, I ended up shipping it!